- Embracing challenges
- Learning from mistakes (mistakes help our brains grow!)
- Working hard is more important than looking smart
- We learn from others
- Accepting feedback helps us improve
- Praise your child on his/her effort rather than ability. If we praise our kids on being smart for quickly learning something new, what will happen when he/she encounters something challenging? Praise their hard work and the process.
- Show how to learn from failure. Your child learns from you! Show that you are willing to fail and eager to learn from your own mistakes. Understanding that mistakes are a part of the learning process will help your child take more risks and ultimately have a higher confidence.
Additional parent resources on growth mindset: