This year, your Alumni Association has been incredibly busy. We are already excited about the 2016-17 year with several events to look forward. Here are a few of the highlights from our year:
- The Alumni Association helped put on the annual Alumni Soccer game and Oyster Roast this past fall with great participation. The Alumni went home with their 13th straight win. Afterward, we celebrated another great year for the soccer program at North Cross with our fellow alumni and toasted the wonderful career of Richard Cook.
- Last year’s summer party was a great success, and we are looking forward to repeating it again this summer. Please make plans to attend an evening at Soaring Ridge Brewery on Thursday June 9th at 5 p.m. to taste some of Roanoke’s local beers and enjoy some fun and relaxation with your fellow alumni. First drink is on us.
- At the end of March, the Board of Trustees approved the construction of the Cook Athletic Field, with plans to have the field ready for fall soccer and field hockey. This was no small accomplishment. As of now, we have $399,491 in gifts and pledges, almost 90% of which came from our generous alumni and parents of alumni. These efforts, along with tireless hours from the Development Office, have made this field a reality, and everyone involved deserves a huge thank you! What a great way to honor the incredible career of Richard Cook. RSG Construction began their work on May 16th, and they expect to have the new grass growing by early July.
- Just a few weeks ago the Alumni Board voted on the next recipient of the Alumni Service Award which will be announced at Commencement on May 28th. This year’s recipient is Sarah Boxley Beck ’98. Having worked closely with Sarah Boxley, I can personally say how deserving she is of this award. She served on the Alumni Board for many years, most recently as President in 2014-15, while also/still serving on the Board of Trustees.
- The Dehart/Grayson Alumni Merit Scholarship was created last year and has raised $62,302. We are excited and looking forward to awarding this scholarship to its first recipient soon. The scholarship is to be awarded to an upper school student that is a child or grandchild of a North Cross Alumnus. If you would like any further information on this scholarship or would like to donate toward this scholarship in honor of Gates Dehart and Margaret Grayson, please contact Amy Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please try to find time to make a trip back to campus to see all that has been accomplished by so many hard working individuals. In the meantime, keep up with the school through Facebook, Twitter, and Crossties. Please keep us updated with the milestones in your life: weddings, births, career changes, awards, etc. by sending this information to your class agent, a member of the Alumni Board, or Rebekah Bradley at email@example.com . We all want to thank you for continuing to help North Cross develop and grow, and I look forward to another productive year in 2016-17!
Jack Hamlin '03
North Cross Alumni Board, Chairman